Elephant Butte, NM

Sunday, September 5, 2010

No joke just memories.




I miss doing this blog, thanks John! I guess it's hard to shut me up. I want to share about all the labs Dave & I have had in our 25 years together. When I met Dave he had Nikki. She had run of the unlocked house Dave lived in. I kicked her outside. I wanted just Dave & I in the bed. My how times have changed. Nikki was a fine boned tall lab who had 11 puppies for us. It took her about 8 hours to have them all. The first one was downstairs on the couch. When Dave got home from work he gathered them up and into the birthing box they went. I'll never forget one Monday night Bronco game, four people came to look at puppies, and 4 left with one. That was a nice night of making $2000.00 bucks. Nikki died of liver failure in 4 days. We kept a male, McKinley's Mr. Theo. Theo loved to hunt pheasants. He never went around anything. He went thru it. He was named, Theo, before he existed. He got sick and we had decided to put him down the next morning. In the night I heard him yip. That was his goodbye, Mom & Dad. He was gone when we found him the next morning. His age 14 1/2. He was a grouchy old man toward the end. Then along comes Maggie. She was a very special girl. Her Mom, Sassy, was number 5 in the US in 1997. That's about as high as the girls get. Mag was even prettier than her Mom. She was Dave's hunting buddy too! At six months she was goose hunting. Dave sent her after a goose. When Mag got up to the goose it got up spread its wings and attacked. Mag won. Ever since that experience if she did not come back bloody from hunting with Dad they didn't get any birds. Dave had a trailer, that I painted camo, full of 300 decoys. It would take 2 hours to set the decoys up. Maggie loved to go to the neighbors to poop on their lawn. What can we say? Sorry AL. She was hit by a neighbor on her way back from Al's. The neighbor thought she hit a rock. Her spine was snapped. Her back 1/2 couldn't move but her front 1/2 wanted to come home. That was dog 2 Dave held as the needle was used. Maggie was eight. Maggie was hard. It took 1 & 1/2 years for Dave to say "I think I'm ready for another puppy." Jasmine was named before she existed too! You all know about that special girl. Everyone loved Jaz. When I saw the sunset the other night I knew Jaz had made it and was with my Mom. Enjoy her Mom. She was special like you!
Two more things to share. Val, who owns the kayak store brought us balloons yesterday to write on and send up for Jaz. That was so nice! Dave, I and Pam wrote on the 2 red balloons. We were ready to release them when a gas customer pulled up to the dock. (Dave has been getting this a lot.) There was a 4 year old cute little girl in the boat. "Where's Jazman, she asked?" They have 2 black labs. They finished and got into the boat to leave. Pam helps at the dock. I was standing there as the little girl asked Pam again "Where's Jazman." Pam says "Jazman went to heaven." "Are you sad" the little girl asks. " Are you her Mom?" Pam points to me and the little girl asks "Are you sad? Yup we are sad."

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your precious memories with us. I'm a "crybaby" so of course that is what I'm doing now.
    blessings
    Linda/Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you continue the blog, I'll sure miss it if you don't. I loved your Lab stories, and of course they called to mind all the furkids I've loved and lost and I teared up - but that's OK, they bring so much to our lives that I wouldn't have missed any of them for the world! Jaz was a wonderful girl, that's for sure, and you gave her a great life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh.........for the memories, and they do become sweeter as time passes. Thanks for sharing those memories with your readers. It is so nice to have you back on your blog, but we certainly understood how you felt and no one could blame you!! I was hoping (and somehow knew) in time you'd be back on your blog!! We continue to think about you and your great loss....it is
    so-o sad and such a void. We feel the void and loss with you; EB won't be the same without Jaz. Take care of yourselves....hold the memories close to your hearts!! Linda/Newell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, your stories come from your heart & soul where Nikki, Theo, Maggie and Jazz will always live. The hurt will never go away but will soften with the memories of soft brown eyes, wagging tails and unconditional love. I know I've been there. I cry for your loss and there is nothing anyone can say that only time will heal.

    We will keep in touch and I am very happy that I will be able to keep reading your Sunday jokes to Harry! Miss you!

    Keep your love in your heart.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete